List of Selected Candidates for the Innovative Young Biotechnologist Award (IYBA) 2013. NEW!
Awardees since 2005
The Department of Biotechnology instituted the 'Innovative Young Biotechnologist Award' (IYBA) in the year 2005. This is an attractive, career oriented scheme to identify and nurture outstanding young scientists with innovative ideas and desirous of pursuing research in frontier areas of biotechnology. The young scientists upto the age of 35 years are considered for this award. The scientists without regular employment are also eligible for this award. The award consists of financial support for a project besides a fellowship of Rs. 40,000/- per month for those awardees who are not in regular employment. The awardees those are not in the regular employment can be attached to a senior scientist (Mentor) in a University, Research Institute, Medical/Agriculture/ Veterinary College, or any other institute of repute, provided the mentor agrees to provide laboratory space and other facilities. It is expected that the awardees will work independently and the Mentor will facilitate the awardee's research efforts. Awardees having a regular employment will receive a cash award of Rs.1, 00,000/- (Rupees One Lakh Only) every year during the period of the project.
The applicant should have an excellent academic career and should have publications in high impact journals and/or should have invented technologies supported by Indian/ International patents. The proposed research project should clearly reflect the innovative thinking and execution capabilities of the applicant.
- The candidate should have secured First Class in examinations of all academic courses for award of a degree from the graduate level onwards. The minimum eligibility criteria for applicants will be the following:
- Cumulative publication impact factor of 10 of only either first author or corresponding author OR Cumulative publication impact factor of 5 of only either first author or corresponding author with two registered Indian Patents or one International patent.
- Qualification: Ph.D. in any branch of life science including Medicine, Veterinary Sciences, Pharmacy, Agricultural Sciences, and engineering sciences. Master degree in Medicine, Engineering/Technology are also eligible to apply.
- Age limit: 35 years or below at the time of submission of the application. Age relaxation of 5 years is made for candidates belonging to SC/ST/OBC, Women and Physically Handicapped Category.
- The applicant should be an Indian National. In addition to the above minimum eligibility criteria, it is essential that the proposed project work is carried out in any recognized research institution/university in India having adequate facilities to carry out the proposed research project. A consent letter from the Institution/ University is required to be furnished along with the application.
- A nomination/recommendation by a Fellow of any of the National Academies, or a Director of National Laboratory, or a Head of an S&T Department of Government of India, or a Vice-Chancellor of a University or an eminent scientist in the field of biotechnology is also essential.
The award shall cover the non-recurring and recurring financial grants for performing and executing an innovative research plan as proposed by the awardee. Grant for equipment, computational and communication facilities, consumables, contingencies and travel will be covered as required for the research project. In addition a fellowship of Rs. 40,000/- per month will be admissible for awardees who do not have a regular employment or are not drawing any other fellowship. If during the course of the project, the awardee finds a regular employment or receives any other fellowship, the awardee should immediately inform the fact to the DBT and the monthly payment of fellowship from the subsequent month onward will be discontinued. In this situation the awardees will receive Rs. 1.00 lakh cash award per annum similar to the awardees those are in regular employment. Awardees having a regular employment will receive a cash award of Rs. 1.00 lakh every year during the course of the project in addition to the equipment and other recurring grants except the fellowship amount.
Extension: The duration of the project will normally be for a period of three years subject to satisfactory progress. In case of research of outstanding merit, based on a review of the project by a committee of experts and their recommendations, the duration of the project may be extended by two more years to a maximum period of five years.Mode of Selection
Sr. IYBA: In case of research outstanding merit and requires expansion of the work within the ambit of its original objectives then the IYBA expert committee may consider the candidate for up gradation as Senior IYBA (Sr. IYBA) fellow for the next upto 3 years to a maximum of 6 years without sealing of grants-in-aid and continuation of the Fellowship/ Cash award similar to IYBA.
Review of the progress of the Awardees
Eligible candidate will submit application in the prescribed format. The applications after initial screening by numerical calculation of impact factor/citation index of research publications and patents will be reviewed by the expert committee for selection of IYBA on the basis of their career profile, distinctions, publications, patents, innovative thinking, scientific originality of the project and the detailed scientific comments. Short listed applicants will be invited for making a presentation to support their candidature. Each candidate will be given 30 minutes to make the presentation. Successful candidates up to maximum of 25 will be recommended for the IYBA.
Presentation of the Awards
The expert committee will also be responsible to monitor the progress of the project, judge any additional requirement of the project and also facilitate work if there are hindrances and take mid-course correction wherever essential. The review will be done once every year. In case of unsatisfactory progress, the fellowship can be terminated and the decision of the Department of Biotechnology, Government of India, in this regard will be final. The selection committee will also decide about extension of the project beyond three years.
The awards are presented to the selected candidates at a formal function organized by the DBT.